View Single Post
Old 21st May 2021, 3:15 pm   #1
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Teac A-450 unusual fault

Hi All
This deck has been slumbering away well wrapped in an insulated loft for several years. I had a day off work today and with the weather being what it is Decided to get it down and attempt a resurrection. Fitted new belts and gave the heads, capstan and pinch rollers a good clean. I noticed the insulation of the two core mains cable was damaged outside the unit and have also replaced this.

Now the wierd bit…. it was powering in intermittently before I took it apart and Inthought the power switch may have been at fault. When switched on the deck after cleaning it was completely dead, no lights or meter bulbs were lit. When play is pressed (piano key) however the deck springs to life everything comes on and sounds very good but there is some background noise. If I can figure out the fault I will re cap the power supply and see if this improves things. The power supply board is a bit of a pig to get at buried under a million bunched groups of cables.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the likely cause of the only powering on when play is selected? Any other key e.g Rewind leaves it dead.

Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9D5DBD1-6964-4817-8807-49658BE8158C.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	234541