View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2005, 3:08 pm   #9
Stewart
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Old recording preservation

The socket you are after is the one at the bottom on the left hand panel inside the storage compartment. On all the versions of this machine that I have come accross this takes the form of two, approx 3.5mm holes about 25mm apart - just like the headphone and external speaker ones on the right hand panel.

If on your machine this has been replaced by a black rectangle with rounded ends, about 25-30mm long and, say 7mm high, it would suggest it is a late production model fitted with a socket Philips used on later models. Plugs that fit this are rare indeed (I've only ever seen one of these flat DIN plugs). It should be possible to find something that will make contact with these, even if it just consists of generously tinning the leads with solder to push in directly. If you are going to pursue this let us know and I'll look up the pin connections of the socket.

The button you found inside the storage compartment switches the machine into "public address / amplifier" mode. Reset this by pressing the long stop bar on the top of the player.

You can get some idea if the machine is running even without a tape.
Plug in and switch on (left hand rotary control). After 30 seconds or so the green eye in the stop bar should light. Press the play button (to the right of the stop bar). The right hand tape spool should spin away like mad but come to a stop under the weight of a finger on the spool. The left hand spool staying still throughout this. Turn up the volume (left hand rotary control) a moderate hum and hiss sound would suggest the play electronics are reasonably ok.
Press the stop bar. Thats the vital bit over with. You could go on to check the fast forward and rewind by using the two outer-most buttons in turn, the corresponding spool should spin - try gripping the spool with your fingers - it should put up a fair fight in trying to continue turning. This was always the weakest point with these machines: Even when quite new the spool drive clutches wore down rapidly leading to weak drive. I wonder just how many meters of tape I have helped wind through one these machines over the years with the aid of a finger! I can hear the squeal of the spool clutches in my mind as a write this!

If all this is resolved then just a quick head clean as suggested by Nick should set you up ready. The heads are under the raised plastic cover with the Philips logo on. remove the screw that holds it in place and you can then wipe a cotton bud moistened with IMS over the record / play head face (in the centre of the group with a beige coloured face. Clean the capstan whilst you're there (rotating metal cylinder about 6mm thick).

Stewart

You may be able to pick up a tape to try on your machine at a car boot sale quite cheaply?