View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2018, 2:04 pm   #20
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: KB 381 5 valve AC/DC superhet

This radio is beginning to tax me.
I have measured all the coils and they all seem OK apart from the L2 coupling coil, tags C & I which is listed as .5 ohms but is measuring at about .1 ohm.
There is an error in the coil list in the service manual. L1 aerial coupling is listed as A E but in reality and on the circuit it is A D.
The speaker energizing coil is listed as 1.4k but measure about 1k and the output transformer primary is listed as 500 ohms but measures 250 ohms. I have tried another odd OP transformer and it did not improve the output at all so there may not be a fault in the OP transformer. Checking the information I have for the KB 405, which is a similar AC/DC radio, the energizing coil on that is listed at 1k and the OP transformer is 300 ohms, the KB 405 radio uses the same 7D3 OP valve, in fact all the valves are the same except the 405 has an additional 9D2 valve as what looks like a RF amplifier as that radio uses a self contained look aerial.
Anyway, back to the KB 381. As I mentioned all the voltages are a good bit higher than they should be, possibly because of the low emissions of the output valve. To try and counter the high voltage I added a 1k resistor in series with the field coil, the HT on the OP valve anode was still slightly high at 160v, it should be 140v. With this additional dropper resistor in series with the HT most voltages appear to be about right but just a little higher than listed. Except for the g1 voltage on V1. KB have this listed as .5v, I am measuring -12v. Again looking at the service information for the KB 405 they have listed the g1 voltage on the mixer/oscillator as -5v.
The V1 valve by the way is a FC13C, the rest of the valves are; 13VPA 11D3 PP3521 V30.

So why am I getting -12v on g1 of V1, and does this really matter/make any difference.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by crackle; 20th Feb 2018 at 2:11 pm.