View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2018, 12:05 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Mystery wooden box? Help identifying please

Speaking as a collector/restorer of old maritime equipment, I reckon you've got a nice old rare gem. Well worth your while restoring the base of the lovely cabinet. The whole wooden casing will varnish/polish up a dream. It looks like it might have a DF facility. Possibly by moving the detachable lid cum antenna. I think you'll find that they are 2.0V Filament valves, not 20V.
If I were you I'd follow up Mike's info & acquire a circuit diagram. The 2V Heater supply would've come from an Exide 2V Rechargeable Glass Cell. HT from an Ever Ready or Vidor Dry Battery. The XSG's Filament, for example, would draw 80mA from a 2.0V Cell, it's Anode would need 50V HT & draw 0.4mA, Screen would need 30V HT. The other valves(cant find any info in my AVO VDM, or Bernards), would be something similar. So bench supply-wise, you'd need 2V from a DC PSU & an HT PSU to give up to 100V DC. Many folk these days make up HT Battery Packs out of PP3 rechargeable batteries & fit them inside replica Ever Ready or Vidor cardboard packaging. I think you can easily download their profiles & print onto thin cardboard.

Regards, David