View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2018, 5:51 pm   #26
baldwinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Lancaster Bomber Radio signals and communications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex 2 Base View Post
Have you been in contact with East Kirkby ? They have a Lancaster and run up the engines from time to time, the plane isn't airworthy any more, they also have lot of information about the airfield when it was operational and might have what you are looking for. Ted
Yes, that is where my Dad was stationed and Im planning a visit soon, thanks for the heads up!Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
It is (or was) the case that you could buy your way into one of the turrets for a slow taxi run in 'Just Jane'. Quite expensive but understandably so.
Yes, and hopefully when I get finance I can do that. Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by valveaudio View Post
You could try contacting The Nanton Aircraft Museum in Nanton, Alberta, Canada They have a good Lancaster there which is occasionally run up. They may have some info/contacts as many were flown by Canadian crews.

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/main_museum.html

I have internal photos if they are any use to you.
Thanks Trevor, I shall follow that up, and yes Id LOVE to see any pictures you may have. My email is [removed by mod] Thanks for posting, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
There is an authentic clip of intercom chatter a few minutes long, available on youtube. A failed nightfighter attack occurs during this, which suggests it is a short sequence chopped out of a much longer recording.

The Lanc was deemed fairly docile apart from a tendency to nose over in the dive as around 330-360 IAS was exceeded (!) Losses in training (Heavy conversion units, mainly) were significant compared to losses in action. Bail out-survival rates from a couple of the crew positions was poor compared to the Halifax and Stirling, the interior being rather cramped and the main spar a large obstacle. American manufacturers considered that their a/c had to hold men, who needed to move around and be relatively comfortable. British a/c, not so much!

An engine failure, even on the return journey, was more of a problem than we might think- 3 times out of 4 this knocked out the hydraulic power assistance to one of the turrets, reverting it to 'mandraulic' manipulation. There was a version which used Bristol Hercules engines, to mitigate the effect should there ever be a shortage of Merlins. I don't know of any that still remain.

I can focus this info more on the role of the WOp when i find my books.
Great Dave, I look forward to hearing anything you discover, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Here's a book I have, the story of a Wireless Operator in Bomber Command -
'First Wave' by Kenneth Ballantyne, ISBN 978-0-9550601-6-8

Is it just me, or do others find it odd that someone starts this thread and asks a question, but then doesn't join in the discussion that ensues?
Its not odd Andy, Im just overwhelmed ! Thanks for this suggestion, I will follow it up..Bob