View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2017, 11:42 pm   #36
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Leak Stereo 20 and TL12 Plus in need of recommissioning. Help and Guidance needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalk View Post
When did resistors and general components become so ****** expensive?
I think you might be in danger of "over analysing" things, if I may be so bold.

HiFi collective are useful for some parts but for things like resistors and most of the capacitors I'd go somewhere else, heck even Maplins do some decent 2W metal film 1% resistors and they are more than good enough for the task. Beware of "boutique" components, just use reputably sourced appropriately specified parts.
I use RS online for much of my parts and although its a bit clanky working one's way through their website I usually find what I need at a reasonable price.
I use 1% tolerance resistors because for the most part they don't cost any more than 5% jobs and I like to know I have got everything bang on the design button. But it's only in areas like the anode loads on the Long tail pair phase splitter (91k and 100k) that getting resistor values bang on might matter. These older valve designs are remarkably tolerant of slight variations from design values.
Like wise capacitors, I use the Vishay polyester 630V DC capacitors as sold in the BVWS shop (other sources are available) and I am more than happy with the results achieved. Electrolytics are any reputably sourced jobs that are suited to the application. Use the nearest preferred values to the originals.

That capacitor C1 1nF was a ceramic type on my stereo20 and again it stayed put. I wouldn't faff around paralleling capacitors here as 1nF (1000pF) is a commonly available value, and its not value critical in that position.

Andy