View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2017, 10:26 am   #28
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: 150 years of the Shipping Forecast

When I lived in Coverack, west Cornwall, back in the late 1960's and 1970's, listening to the shipping forecast on BBC Radio 2 1500m was a necessity for most coastal fishing communities, there four broadcasts a day were the most accurate and reliable forecasts available.
Many people would also listen to the local shipping and coastal forecasts from Land End radio which in those days was broadcast on the MF trawler band somewhere between 1.7 Mhz and 2 Mhz using good old AM later going to SSB.
As a result of this I still try and listen to a shipping forecast if I can and can understand all the details of the forecast and where all the sea areas are etc. For me its not just the pleasure of listening to these forecasts but I find they are still the most accurate of forecasts available today. For authenticity and sentimental reasons I still try and listen to the shipping forecasts on BBC R4 198Khz long wave.