View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2017, 10:01 pm   #5
yestertech
Nonode

Default Re: Sorting your valves!

Completely agree with dseymo1 ....I found the only sensible way is via a spreadsheet - the exact box fill order being completely random.
This allows additional stock to be added to the last part filled box, or a new box added. This system is infinitely expandable if new stock turns up . I have about 15 or so medium size boxes and searching the spreadsheet ( ordered by type number ) tells you which of these the valve is in. It also gives original box/white box/no box details ( 3 columns ) which all contain the manufacturer. This makes it easier to find a particular valve within a box , by say, looking for a 'Mullard' carton for example.
Another column 'condition' indicates a number ( % emission if tested ) ' NOS ' ( assumed good but be wary) or 'U' for untested ( could be a dud )
Yes it does mean that a given type number may appear in several boxes. But its usual only to need one at a time. Searching by maker and type is also possible if a particular brand of valve is sought.
To list totals of each valve across the boxes, simply use a pivot table.

An additional page at the front of the spreadsheet ('read me') reminds where to find/the type of the box or container ( i.e. really useful plastic box, 'Shurgard' box , box on workshop shelf etc.etc. ) any sort of container can be listed ( even drawers )
The loft stored boxes all have a 'Vxx' large label on at least 2 edges, so they can be found when needed.
From time to time the boxes need consolidating ( adds/disposals/merges) and this is simple to do on a spreadsheet ,as a search can be done on a box number and its entire contents transferred elsewhere.

Any other physical sorting system tends to be very inflexible. It's of course possible to see if a valve is available without venturing anywhere near the draughty ol' loft !!

Andy

Last edited by yestertech; 21st Nov 2017 at 10:08 pm.