View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2018, 4:47 pm   #22
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Hi Newbie to Dansette Record Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisOnTour View Post
I thought I was winning until I put volume button back on which had a small metal tight clip which has now snapped the button off so I'm now looking a for a genuine replacement the plastic just crumbled so no super glue is going to work.
The knob should be able to be repaired if you wanted.
I have done this with epoxy putty. You can make own epoxy putty with slow setting epoxy glue thickened with Collodial Silica (West 406) to a soft putty.

Smear soft wax (from a waxy capacitor) over a longish spare metal D shaped volume control shaft (with a flat) and push the shaft into the remains of the hole in the knob.
Fill the inside of the knob with the epoxy putty and build it up around the shaft to mould a new collar, make it as thick as reasonable so it still goes into any recess in the cabinet.
When the epoxy has set you should be able to pull the knob of the shaft, if it is difficult, heat the shaft to melt the wax that you smeared on it.
Dont worry about the metal clip, the knob can be held on the record player shaft to stop it sliding off with more soft wax.

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 18th Jun 2018 at 4:52 pm.