Thread: Sinclair ZX81
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 12:41 pm   #42
Ken
Hexode

Default Re: Sinclair ZX81

I bought my ZX 81 kit after "repairing" a ZX80 kit for a friend who taught maths in the school in which I worked. Before this my only experience of computing was at university were I used one in a radio chemistry experiment. It used punched cards. I also remember the pet and one made by research machines. The ZX81 was cheap. I agree that this was it's advantage. I seem to remember that the ZX80 was about £100. At £49.99 I still thought the ZX81 kit was pricey and there was the risk it wouldn't work when finished and you might not get it to work but I had started working and decided to get one. Later I bought a memory expansion board and a board to connect it to the outside world both as kits. I quite like the idea of a replacement keyboard which retains the look of the old one. Typing speed is not an issue for me as I am slow. I've even kept the old keyboard as I have a notion to try a fix on it. I think for me this is a bit of a nostalgia trip. I think a lot of members of this forum might understand that.

Regards,

Ken.