View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2021, 9:27 pm   #79
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Eddystone 750 wreck

Brilliant result, and must be very rewarding to have it working well after all that graft. Well done for rescuing it from its neglect. Did the seller know anything about the outer case's fate?- though something as nicely put together as this is almost too good to be hidden away!

I acquired my 750 opportunistically from someone living nearby, not being at all familiar with Eddystones and if anything a tad sceptical, but after working on it and then using it, I can understand Gerry O'Hara's enthusiasm for the 750 as a landmark product of theirs. I particularly like two features that are mechanical in nature- the variable ratio arm that linearises the tuning scale and the selectivity control with its coupled cranks and IFT coupling coil sleds.
Definitely a worthwhile classic. So far, I've resisted the temptation to acquire any more Eddys other than a 670A, which got in on the grounds of having LW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Never realised just how many MW stations there are...
I was impressed by the MW performance too- just goes to show how worthwhile a tuned RF stage can be, and I suppose that the second ECH42 could be considered as an IF stage that happens to have different input and output frequencies but still makes a worthwhile contribution to overall gain. It certainly pulls in the Spanish etc. stations in from early evening, and the precise tuning and 10kHz resolution come in very helpful here. Just a shame that the MW coverage only goes up to 1465kHz.

Last edited by turretslug; 8th Oct 2021 at 9:38 pm. Reason: Additional remark.