View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2021, 3:14 pm   #25
mrrstrat
Pentode

Default Re: Hallicrafters SX-17 Advice on repair.

Its a beauty Lawrence!

My fathers SX-16 has great BFO and can SSB. That is not to say it was not modified as it when I got it the set looked like it was full of ceramic caps from the 60s in it from an (much) earlier repair.

I am hunting down sources of weak signal - the dog house the 6J7 sits on has nearly no extra wire slack to move it very far, but all I saw was two resistors in it and they appear to be in spec. The voltages on the 6J7 with my 1000R/V meter reveals voltages are in the ballpark (as per the manual).

The 6J7 tests strong - I checked my 6R7 and it is 92/48 triode, and 42/40 and 44/40 diode on my calibrated TV-7. So its not likely the valves and possibly a feed to them (or the coupling between them). I just want it to work in spec - it is so weak that I can only hear a faint reference to it on medium wave. I did mess with the transformer for the BFO by adjusting it a little on a station and modulated the controls - this helped a little to get a pitch but again it is so faint it is not even an effect on the signal.

And: I have not aligned it yet at all but tweaked some of the caps and padders to see if I have any issues to work out before a real alignment attempt. The medium wave band with AVC on and XTAL in produces some rich and full sounding local AM (Chicago stations come is like its next door with 10 foot of 22 gauge wire in a basement - so I am encouraged the set can work well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
The BFO injection on the one I had worked ok on CW and SSB.

Some shots of the front panel refurbishment I did, not an easy job as the lettering is raised, in my case they started out as raised rust, I managed to remove it back to the metal (not a lot to play with) then varnish.