View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2017, 11:36 pm   #17
Mad Mal
Tetrode

Default Re: Old Software on a new computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
The software I am talking about is on CD ROMS, not floppy discs. Personally I would like to get either Movie Editor 2004 or 2005 to work properly, both of which do install on Windows 7, plus Pressworks 2.5. Which will not install.
In my windows 7 machine most of the old software won't even start to run and the compatibility options don't effect it at all.
Windows gives me the message (on Pressworks 2.5) that it won't run on this system and to contact the manufacture (who have ceased trading) for an update of the software.

When any old software does install it tends to crash or doesn't look right. So I was thinking if it needed to be altered (reprogrammed) to get the flaws out. Does anybody do that kind of thing?
If the installers work for these programs find their location on your system drive in programs. Find the 'exe file and right click to get the context menu. In Windows 10 there is an option trouble shoot compatibility. Click on this and follow the instructions in the window that pops up.

If it works with the setting recommended, remember to click the appropriate option in the Compatibility Troubleshooter window. Save the settings when prompted and every time you run the program thereon in it will load and run. Some DOS only programs still work, it depends on how complex they are and if they use specific hardware configurations.

I've had a supposedly DOS only text adventure load and run. Not that the game was any good really, just to see if it was possible. I have found a couple of issues with Win 10's Compatibility Troubleshooter though. Some Win 3 and Win 98 programs that required early sound blaster hardware to run. A more complex way to run the old stuff is to create a virtual machine running that version of the OS.