View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 2:02 am   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Old Software on a new computer

Grubhead, which OSes did the software ORIGINALLY run OK under? From the dates you stated, presumably XP?

Modification / updating of software is occasionally done but it's usually on an ad-hoc basis - typically some individual clever enough wants a particular bit of software to run under an OS it wasn't designed to run under and hacks it so it will, but I've never heard of anyone doing it on request / for a fee.

One example I can state is the control software for my EPROM programmer - originally written for DOS, it worked in the Windows version of DOS up until Win 98 SE, but was broken by XP. I've discovered that someone has hacked it to work with XP.

Sometimes old software like your movie editor software turns up as updated versions - (updated just enough to get it working on the next version of Windows, that is) - in supermarket bargain bins, so it might be worth searching around to see if Win 7 compatible versions of your software were ever released in that way. Unfortunately 'Movie Editor' is about the worst product name they could have chosen for this purpose as a search on that turn turns up hundreds of hits for all sorts of movie editor software, not just your actual software.