View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2018, 3:15 pm   #34
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: The Best GDO Ever Made?

Antenna experimentation and construction is perhaps the most satisfying aspect of amateur radio, and one where home-brew is still a real practical proposition. The present licence structure and training to become a radio amateurs is in my view, far more comprehensive and much better preparation than the old 'essay style' RAE that I took back in 1974. The Foundation Licence is the only one that stands on its own. The Intermediate and Full licence 'bolt-on' to the FL. All involve practical work and on air QSOs, none of which applied under the old set-up.

I've attached a pic of the trap in my previous post, housed and ready to install. Second pic is on a home-brew 1:1 balun for a trapped dipole that I made, wound on a 1/2" ferrite rod, and the third pic is of another balun, using two 12mm ferrite rods side by side, glued together. Cost next to nothing to make and didn't take long either, so why do people fork out for commercial items when they're so simple to make? (If I said my hobby was marquetry, and I bought all the items ready made from a shop, people would think I was nuts!).

Good wishes in your endeavours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Trap in housing_edited-1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	155211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balun inside_edited-1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	155212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Balun using two ferrite rods.jpg