View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2021, 9:59 pm   #65
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Mains plug restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
BS7671 is chiefly about electrical installations of buildings rather than portable appliances. It refers to the use of plugs mainly to describe the requirements they pose for the use of sockets. Some parts are worded in slghtly ambiguous ways; for example the reference in post #32 to one pin being engaged while another is fully exposed, is basically a prohibition on any kind of socket where pins of a plug could be engaged individually, e.g with the neutral pin in the line socket and the line pin overhanging the side of the socket body.
Lucien I have said it before on here, that you have people with a limited subset of knowledge that are trying to apply one set of standards (that they very well be familiar with) trying to apply that knowledge to another set of standards that they are not familiar with.

Yes there is a large degree of overlap between the rules, and yes the laws of physics still apply, however the different standards each have their own rules and caveats, and not many people know with any depth of certainty any of the rules that apply to maybe two standards if they are lucky! This is where problems arise, urban myths start to spring up and mistakes start to be made.
People whom are otherwise intelligent (and even experts in their own field) start to stray into unfamiliar territory and make big mistakes in the belief they are correct.
This is not a dig at anyone in particular btw.