View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2019, 2:40 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Refixing loose valve bases

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Just a couple of comments - Henkel, who make it, claim Super Steel is metal-loaded. So whatever you do don't let it run down inside the valve base and touch the valve wires or pins. Serious Glue is rated, again according to the manufacturer https://diy.evo-stik.co.uk/sites/diy...rious-glue.pdf, as good for temperatures up to 130C. Hard-working power valves can get hotter than that though.

Cheers,

GJ
Thanks for reading and for your comments GJ.

Yes, they say it's 'metal loaded' but it depends on one's definition of 'loaded'.

Before ever I used if for such purposes as re-fixing valve bases and re-stuffing capacitors, I applied 'Super Steel' to a strip of glass 50mm long x 15mm wide, then tested it on my Victor V60B insulation tester at 1,000V. The tester will show leakage up to 200M Ohms. As will be seen from the pic below, (with the strip in the foreground connected to the test leads), far from being conductive, 'Super Steel' makes an excellent conductor!

When I've converted EBL1s, it's necessary to extend the wires inside the octal valve base so I sleeve them to obviate the risk of them shorting to each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Steel 1000V Insulation Test.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	180703