View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:20 pm   #54
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Types of CRT used in colour TV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
We had an elderly lady who would remove the speaker grille from her G8 and twiddle all the pots to their fully CCW extreme, replace the grille, then call us out for a poor picture. She did this maybe once a month, and would deny that anybody had tampered with it although it was obvious.
I had a similar problem with Varicap Thorn 3500s we had out on rental some customers couldn't resist opening the little door on the back of the set and fiddling with the multi turn tuning pots then call you out because BBC1 was on the ITV button and vice versa
The sets had good AFC and didn't drift off tune so why they played around I have no idea. it was always the same customers and it was always blamed on the Grandchildren...
Thorn had obviously anticipated this and provided a convenient hole in the door and escutcheon that a suitable screw could be inserted to lock the door. No more muddled channels!
Getting back to CRTs when I was training the firm had a lot of Hybrid Pye sets out on rent and while the 22" delta gun tubes were on the whole still giving good pictures the 26" A67 tubes fitted to the CT203 were starting to look poor. I later found out that a lot of tubes labelled as Mullard were in fact American imports, possibly Sylvania?
Guess who got the job of hauling these monsters out and fitting Cheapo "Sparkoblatt" reguns?

These tubes were terrible and apart from the sparking over when they were first fitted they usually needed a lot of setting up to get reasonably good convergence and purity.

One morning I had just finished fitting one and after setting the purity and static convergence I was surprised to find the dynamic convergence was excellent...

Just at that moment one of the senior engineers walked past "look at this " I commented to him "I only had to set the statics and it's spot on".

He walked over to the set and twiddled every pot on the convergence panel saying "You won't learn anything from that will you?"
From that I learnt alright... Keep my gob shut!

Last edited by slidertogrid; 15th Feb 2019 at 10:37 pm.