View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:08 pm   #52
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Types of CRT used in colour TV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydeuk View Post
It was strictly forbidden to remove the back of a rental set since it was the property of the rental company. I'm not sure what the penalty would have been but suspect it would have meant the customer would be liable to pay the full cost of the set, and probably be blacklisted from renting again. It would have been in the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.
I had a little chuckle!

We had an elderly lady who would remove the speaker grille from her G8 and twiddle all the pots to their fully CCW extreme, replace the grille, then call us out for a poor picture. She did this maybe once a month, and would deny that anybody had tampered with it although it was obvious.

We didn't mind mind too much, the tea and biscuits were good and she probably was lonely.

TV Rental has a sort of charity work feel to it back in the '70s and 80s when I was involved, parts and labour were pre-paid in the customers rental, in fact we called the customers "subscribers".

After one company-wide shake up, we got a delegation of new management visit the depots, and lecture about only being in business to make a profit.

Shocking!

<Edit> Oh I just remembered, I even put a note behind the grille that said "DON'T TOUCH" but even that did't dissuade her entirely.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 15th Feb 2019 at 10:13 pm.