View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2019, 5:00 pm   #44
Clydeuk
Hexode

Default Re: Types of CRT used in colour TV's.

It was strictly forbidden to remove the back of a rental set since it was the property of the rental company. I'm not sure what the penalty would have been but suspect it would have meant the customer would be liable to pay the full cost of the set, and probably be blacklisted from renting again. It would have been in the terms and conditions of the rental agreement.

I was always fascinated when the "telly man" had to call round, and often asked him a lot of questions about what was wrong and what he was doing. Not all the engineers were obliging with information though. It was seeing the engineers at work that sparked my interest and started me on that path myself, though I never worked for a rental company.

The "colour going wonky" could have been a lot of different fault conditions, either affecting a single colour or the whole decoder. People would see the coloured controls inside on the convergence panel and assume these adjusted the colours. I know that was my impression before I learned what they really did,