View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2017, 9:56 pm   #18
Oliver35
Pentode

Default Re: Attracting younger members to Vintage Equipment

I seem to remember there was another thread along similar lines with specific regard to TV, not that long ago. Being relatively young still, I find these conversations interesting.
My own interest is due in part to vintage electronics not being familiar- there's a huge attraction in the unusual, and the technology that surrounds us now can trace a direct line back to early radio and television.
One problem, I think, is the low public profile of the interest. Where do you go? Science Museum? Not much there, on my last visit. Dulwich is excellent, but I only found out about it after some time spent reading around the interest, so rather preaching to the choir. You won't see much on tv- I was rather disappointed with the 80th anniversary BBC programme, as I know many others here were. It's just not out there, which is a great shame. I'm hoping the forthcoming museum at AP will change this, but I'm amazed it's taken this long.
One other point I would- with some trepidation- make, is one of perception, rather a two-way street. There are young people who are feckless and disinterested, it's quite true. You'll never engage their interest, and most likely neither will anyone else, unil they grow in experience and mature out of it- but they're really not the majority. Some simply won't be interested, which is fair enough. But to those who may be, we should perhaps not be seen as viewing youth broadly with a jaundiced eye. Nothing drives the young away more efficiently! More subtly, and something I think I'd find hard myself, is that future generations may simply take the hobby in directions that we haven't thought of or may not approve of. Rest assured though, they will be out there. Railways, classic cars, vintage buses all have their young devotees, so it's not impossible.