View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2017, 11:41 pm   #6
JoshWard
Octode

Default Re: Attracting younger members to Vintage Equipment

I feel I can contribute in some way to this given at one stage I was the youngest member of this forum! Certainly all of my friends growing up have always liked and respected my radios- admired the sound quality of many and the styling too.
The problem for the vast majority comes with useability. I don't know of many young people who are collectors of anything in particular, therefore their way to vintage radio would be having a radio in use. As we know from the AM dying thread fewer younger people are listening to the radio, this is where things like adding Bluetooth etc comes into it's own. Vintage styling is very much in fashion- people are painting their homes and interiors pastel colours, driving Fiat 500s and Minis and are buying Roberts radios with 1950s styling. I have seen the prices of 50s and early 60s valve sets rise as a result, I remember a time when early 60s stuff couldn't be given away because most enthusiasts were more interested in 1930s HMVs but now a PCB VHF valve radio can sell for £50 if in good working order- unheard of a few years ago.

Whether those people would become enthusiasts I don't know. I have seen very little willingness amongst most of the people I have grown up with to do anything hands on. Those who are interested in things like engineering and electronics could potentially become interested if they knew such things existed.

As for the BVWS' future, I ceased to be a member when I became a proper 'student' as I could no longer afford it. Introduction of a concessionary rate may help, but there could be resistance from older members wanting a concessionary rate for their age group, and given that is probably the largest segment in the BVWS it could mean a drop in revenue.