Thread: Sony ICF SW7600
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2012, 9:39 am   #5
Dylan85
Pentode

Default Re: Sony ICF SW7600

Quote:
It would be worth checking the output of the DC converter with a scope after replacing its output capacitor with a ceramic.
It's funny you should mention that Chris, the same thought went through my mind. I did have a quick look at the 14 volt rail with a scope - just in case. No signs of instability and normal mV levels of ripple. The other thing I have come across with ceramics is that they can be very microphonic depending on where they are used in a circuit and what function they are performing. I would think in this case though, they are all supply decouplers and the risk of microphony problems low.

I'm very tempted to look at my original 7600 and see what state those capacitors are in. although it is performing flawlessly I'm now getting visions of leaking electrolyte doing nasty things to the pcb. Trouble is I'm a great believer in leaving well alone if it is working ok. Maybe a bit of preventative maintenance would prevent tears later on. I get the impression that these radios benefit from being in continuous use but who knows?

Quote:
you must have very keen eyes!
I wish! Long gone are the days when I could do a bit of surface mount with the MK1 eyeball, hence my comments about a x10 magnifier. Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure it is actually a x20 magnifier. As long as I can see it I'm prepared to have a go at it, but if I can't see it then I've got no chance. At work we are now using 0402 devices (1mm x 0.5mm) and I won't even try to work with these unless I really have to, they are like specks of dust!

Quote:
At that time I was travelling a great deal, often to fairly inhospitable and out of the way places and the little Sony radio was my companion and link back to a saner world.
Me too. I've used mine a few times when abroad and it has never let me down. The alarm feature has also proved useful too, though I guess these days most people have everything built into their mobile phone, including the FM radio.

Quote:
nice write up i got one i picked up in the summer boxed all bits for a fiver
Thanks for the comments. That's an absolute bargain Vince, well worth a bit of effort to get it going.

Dylan