View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2019, 2:20 pm   #13
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Searching for "Lost" TV shows - anyone have a TVBrain Gold subscription?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Copyright law in the US was long different from the rest of the world in that you had to file a copy of the work with the library of Congress to get copyright protection. Elsewhere, copyright came into existence automatically . The US only fell into line with the rest of the world in the late 1990's. I forget what the transitional arrangements were, if any, but for older stuff, no registration= no copyright in the USA, hence public domain in the USA. Copyright would still exist in other countries. Copyright law is fiendishly complex and the goalposts get changed periodically, often by international agreements that always seem to extend protection. Paying to renew copyright, once only, is a peculiarly US thing. Elsewhere it comes into existence and remains in force until it expires.
yes and I forgot to add that it's different for sound recordings as well and the UK and US situation is in reverse ..where an aging popular disc can fall out of copyright in the UK but not in the US. If you buy a re-issue CD of an old number and it has the words "copyright control" beside it..it means reasonable attempts have been made to find the rights owner which have come to nothing and (I think) a donation has been paid to the musician's union..something like that anyway.