View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2004, 3:20 pm   #3
evingar
Octode

Default Re: AVO 8 Variants (Mk1,Mk2,Mk3,Mk4...etc)

Hi Radiosaddo

In all honesty I’d go for a modern DMM. If you shop around, you should be able to get one with inductance and capacitance capabilities as well. I have a Wavetek / Meterman 27XT that does the lot. This replaced a Maplin Gold DMM that saw good service for the best part of a decade before I had an “unfortunate” accident with it (I tried to measure the resistance of the mains supply!) :

To your question, I also have 2 AVO’s I have had for years but seldom (make that never!) use. If it weren’t for the fact that they were given to me by a family member I would have got shot ages ago.

The first one is an AVO 8 MK IV, the back of the thing is grey plastic, but the front looks like earlier models. 3KV range 10 Amp Current etc. The whole back has to be removed to replace the battery

The second is a model 9 MK 2 which is altogether a sturdier beast, again 3KV max range Amp 10 Amp max. Battery replacement for this model can be done through a separate hatch in the top. If you insist on going for these dinosaurs I guess older would seem to be better.