Thread: Quad 405-2 help
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2019, 3:35 pm   #11
soundray
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Quad 405-2 help

Many thanks to all for your advice and contributions.

Radio Wrangler

Thanks for your useful summary. I’ve obviously been lucky with my dabbling and quick fixes so far but I’m learning as I go. The only test gear I have is a DMM and I will go through testing and measuring what I can with that. A long slow process I think.

Diabolical Artificer

As you say, there’s a lot more to these things than I know or understand yet. I don’t have a scope (and currently wouldn’t know how to use one anyway) or any other test gear so I have been ‘getting away with’ it so far. I’m sure the friendship will survive, the amp was inherited so cost nothing and I’m happy to pick up the parts bill if I can’t make it work.

nutteronthebus

I have searched online and, as you say, there is plenty of info out there. The biggest problem for me at the moment is understanding some of the technical terms and references. I go off and look them up but they often take me down another winding rabbit hole until I get lost! I’ve been having fun so far but this one is a bit trying.

Hartley118

Thanks for your sympathy. I have tested some transistors with the DMM but, when in circuit, have had some odd readings that I’m not sure are due to a fault or the effect of other components in the circuit. I do find taking them all out to test, whilst obviously preferable, somewhat tedious, as David mentions, but that’s probably me wanting instant results. I buy my components from Farnell so I think quality shouldn’t be a problem. I have had a good look at the Dada site now and may well use their kits in the future. Though it seems my current problem is beyond a kit of parts so I’ll keep checking.

Thanks again to you all for the insight, advice and encouragement. I’ll keep trying and, hopefully learning. I guess if all else fails I can always send it to Quad/IAG to be done 'properly'!