View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2017, 2:06 pm   #28
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Transcendental magic: Schade's peak voltage equation and my discovery!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
...admiration and encouragement for someone who is 'out there' with their curiosity.
That's nice of you to say, Steve. I appreciate it, thank you.

Quote:
PS When will we see some decent sparks from your work?... Cant wait for the photos!
Well, we had 'first light' yesterday. If you look at the thread, there's a photo of a small but significant corona/plasma at the top of the main inductor.

This was running with a solid state modulator I built for the purposes of modelling behaviour in the main inductors and tuning. I got around 1cm with just 25 volts.

This is less than a 2,000th of the design voltage which will eventually be the domain of the big old power oscillator valve; at 20W RF it is also just 1/750th of the design power!!!

I won't have the bespoke new transformer for a while, so in the meanwhile I'll be focussing on having the right test equipment (building an EHT probe) and making a temporary EHT supply for testing the power oscillator at a small fraction of the eventual full power.

So the spectacle may be a little way off, aiming for New Year!