View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2021, 8:43 pm   #10
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Who has an Emor Globe radio?

Hello Gary, well a number of oddities were corrected:
The shadow box for the scale illumination had its mounting flange sandwiched between the bottom of the first IF can and chassis causing said can to tilt to the left. The flange was cut back and the screw hole repositioned to allow the IF can to sit properly.
The audio output transformer was mounted on top of a screw head which meant it would not sit correctly. The transformer was remounted on a piece of resilient material to raise it by an eighth of an inch, a hole in this allowed for the screw head.
The cast iron base needed extensive grinding to prevent flash from the casting cutting into the mains lead, I fitted a plywood base under this to prevent the mains lead from being trapped under the flat surface.
The antenna and oscillator coils were mounted right up to the edge of the chassis and as such were damaged. I fitted thin aluminium shields on the edge to protect them.
One glaring flaw which can not be corrected is the limited travel of the volume control, the control sleeve on the column can only turn so far. The factory correction for this was to have a 100kohm resistor between the wiper and signal end of the track. This works, but could it be seen as a bodge?
I realise that these sets are seen as being of revolutionary design for their time, but more thought could have gone into basic engineering principles.
Neil