View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2018, 5:32 pm   #7
Boulevardier
Octode

Default Re: Ferrograph S3 and S4 help with some issues please

Have you replaced any capacitors in the oscillator circuit? If so, are you sure you've used the correct types? Some of them will almost certainly need to be silvered-mica (or perhaps there's a modern equivalent of s.m).

I can remember a couple of times when I got this wrong. In the first, when we had a recorder on which the oscillator wasn't working at all, I quickly traced the fault to a shorted s.m. cap, and absent-mindedly replaced it with another type, since we didn't have an s.m. small enough to easily fit. No oscillation (still), so I started looking for another fault - until I twigged to the problem. Managed to squeeze in a larger s.m. of right value and all was well. The other case was with a Mullard Type C valve tape preamplifier (truly excellent circuit). I carelessly used a ceramic instead of the specified s.m, and sometimes the oscillator would work, and other times it just wouldn't start - until I replaced it with s.m..

Even if yours still has the original s.m.s and they're measuring OK, it might be worth replacing them - they might be breaking down on load - I'm not familiar with the Ferrograph circuits, but those circuits have to handle quite a bit of power to set up the field in the erase head.

Mike