View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2018, 6:52 pm   #1
Rohit123
Retired Dormant Member

Default Akai GX4000D - Left Channel Repair

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a second hand Akai GX4000D tape deck. Unfortunately the left channel is not working. It only works on the playback mode with pre-recorded tapes.

When I engage the Monitor to SOURCE and send an input signal, I get the output from the right channel. However if I crank up the signal from my computer/cassette player, I get a very inaudible sound from the left channel. When I use MIC as an input, the left channel shows the same symptoms.

When I engage the SOS function with MONITOR on TAPE, I get output from both channels.

A little background, I have used deoxit d5 on all pots and switches with no result. The tape path is super clean. The cables used are all working. Have changed all the fuses. The tape used is brand new. But till no luck.

This brings me to my question.

What should I do? Where should I begin. Is it the transistors? If yes, which ones could they be? And, what are the replacements? here is the service manual -

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...gx-4000d.shtml

I don't really know how to read the circuit diagram and learning to do so.

Has anyone faced a similar problem?

Any little help will mean a lot to me as am doing this for my mother. Am from India and any guidance regarding vintage machines is very hard to come by.

Looking forward to bringing this beautiful machine to life. Coz there is no school like old school. \m/

Warm Regards,
Rohit