View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2017, 10:15 pm   #23
darkmatter
Tetrode

Default Re: The BBC monitor sound Loudspeakers from Spendor Rogers, Harbeth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_S_J_R View Post
The current thinking by Alan Shaw (Harbeth) is that BBC designs are just that - intended for the BBC's use primarily. There's certainly enough evidence gathered over some years to suggest a 3 or more db drop in response from 400Hz (5/8) and 500Hz (5/9) to around 3kHz to back it up. My own 5/9's though, have gone from sounding dry toned and analytical in high 24" mounted free space conditions, to fat and soft toned close to a wall and sat on solid platforms desk mounted (the only place I could use them) and rather nice in free space on 18" pillar stands, so it's anyone's guess frankly. Some equivalent period Spendor SP2/3's sounded bland and rather 'lush' in comparison..

Forgive me. I can only report what others have published with evidence to back their claims up. Using these things in a non controlled domestic situation is always going to offer differences I think...
Dave that is an interesting analysis.

I have recently appraised a pair of Spendor BCIIIs in a couple of systems with various components from Krell FBP 700cx 550i integrated and an Orelle SA100 evo with various analogue and digital sources.

Certainly the BCIIIs were a challenge for several amplifiers and actually quite hard to drive correctly.

They took power well and needed an amplifier with good current drive to get the best from them.

I am currently using a pair of KEF BBC LS5/1AEs and am pleasantly surprised at their performance.

More updates as I continue to listen.

Simon