View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2019, 11:51 am   #24
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Re: To paint or not to paint ?

I would not powder coat, if it chips how do you retouch it ?.
If you anodize and scratch it, its done for !

Damaged paint job ! no problem just touch up or if you go for a change in colour later just paint strip and re-spray !.

Spray is my option . If its good enough for aircraft and Mil stuff externally then that,s my choice Just make sure the ali surface is not damaged , NO scratches etc PREPARATION is the key ( no pun ).

IF it were me
I would wet block sand the surface with 500 - 600 grit with plenty of warm water suds you.ll be surprised at how much debri comes off, let dry and and de-grease with paint thinner then prime then top coats.

OR take it to a pro spray shop and let them do it 100%.
You really want the surface Etch Primed with Zinc Chromate yellow, hence the pro spray shop ! Zinc Chromate etches into the metal and provides a key for the paint. Make sure any earth points to the cover are left bare or use stainless steel tooth washers and fastners if its all painted, for earth bonding. You can buy blackodized stainless steel fastners in the UK.
Find yourself a company like this in your area and talk to them, well worth it because they have all the gear for it . Good luck
http://www.goldburnfinishers.co.uk/pretreatment.php