View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2017, 1:26 am   #193
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Restore a Beau Decca

Ah yes, I was forgetting that one of these was a 16uf rather than them both being 8uf. It would be better if the 16uf was replaced by a single capacitor, but there’s no real reason why you shouldn’t use two 8uf (or 10uf) capacitors in parallel seeing as you have them already – you can always change it later if you want. I see that company does the exact values the same as the originals. These that you have should be of very good quality due to where you’ve sourced them from and are 105c temperature rated, and although I take the point that PJL has made about ripple rating, I personally think that the brunt of the ripple has at this stage been absorbed by the paralleled 4 x 1uf reservoir, so the good quality electrolytic ones that you have should be fine – have a look at what’s written on the can of the original to see if a ‘ripple rating’ is noted on it as I’ve not normally come across high ripple capacitors being used in this position before. I see that the company you got your capacitors from do a 4uf 600 volt working electrolytic which I think you could probably have got away with using – well, I would have given it a try, but what you’ve got with the four that you’ve used we pretty much know will cover the ‘ripple’ aspect regardless, so stick with what you’ve got. Obviously, make sure you connect the electrolytic ones the correct way round.

As regards the resistors, a quick look at the circuit shows that just about all of them can be measured in circuit, so just run your meter probes across them all to check their value – power disconnected from the amplifier, of course. The only resistors that I’ve honestly ever had problems with are those anode load resistors R47 & R48 on your diagram. I’ve known them degrade with internal arcing and messing about causing continuous cracking in the speakers, obviously regardless of volume control setting. However, that doesn’t mean that yours are going to fail in this way and you’ve already confirmed that they’re of the correct value, so unless any of the other resistors read way off, then I’d leave the originals in place. If you get any way out of spec resistors, then report them for advice.

There are several other capacitors that we’ve talked about that just need to be thought about, but we’ll get to them when you’ve sorted that double can replacement – unless you’re running out of stock and intend putting an order in, then I would advise getting replacements for these others just in case, not forgetting that cathode de-coupler C36 that I think I mentioned as a possible a long time ago, but may actually not need replacing.

You’re getting on really well with this amplifier!

Last edited by Techman; 24th Feb 2017 at 1:31 am.