View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2021, 10:32 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Building my first shortwave radio

I think you'll find the one that Baz suggests easier to get working and probably easier to follow the circuit. DF91's are easy to source but remember you'll need to make up an HT supply with series connected PP3's (either 7 or 8 of them with this circuit). Also remember that these little battery valves are very delicate and you need to be VERY careful not to create shorts between HT and LT otherwise it's goodbye valve....

With care this should be a great little set to get you started. The advantage is that it uses home wound coils rather than commercial coils which would be difficult to source now. Give it a go! Once you have built your first radio successfully, it gives great confidence for the next and also helps you understand how radio's work.

You do need a good longwire aerial though. You should be able to get reasonable results from an aerial around the room. I also didn't have access to a garden but I was able to hook a longwire from my brother's bedroom window down to my workroom which was actually about 25 feet and I got brilliant results from that.