View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2011, 10:06 pm   #70
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your input and I'm taking a lot of notice of all the suggestions.

Well spotted Trevor; yes the fuse still blows even with the PY32 sitting on the bench; I don't know much about working on a TV but I quickly sussed out that if I removed it I could get it out of the equation.

A couple of days ago I printed off a lot of your excellent suggestions and in particular those from post #6 which I've just finally got around to studying in detail; thanks for these John and item no 1 is indeed the "trombone" switch; I haven't a clue what this switch looks like as my T311 service sheets don't appear to show it but I've a feeling it will become apparent when I have a look at the chassis tomorrow; I know I'm sad because whilst Bron has been watching Doris Day on TV I've been reading all this printed information and looking through the service sheets.

Tomorrow's first job will be to locate the Trombone switch and take my time checking it; hopefully this will then allow non fuse blowing power to be applied to the valve heaters; if not then the simple suggestion by Steve to remove the end connector from the CRT and check and if the fault remains I'll attack all the waxies which I suspect anyway and I also note a number of the small Hunts caps kicking around. I have plenty to play around with but I'm learning quickly with all your generous help.

Everything felt so strange to me a few days ago; it is the first time I've had the bench loaded with a big chassis and equally as big CRT; today I was more settled with it and even found it easy to tip the chassis on it's back by gently lifting with both knobs making everything very accessible.

Keith (KeithsTV) whilst paying us a most welcome visit a few months ago kindly marked a copy of the circuit diagram with valve numbers but as it is only a diagram I will struggle to identify which valve is which on the chassis as I don't have a proper schematic of either the deck or under chassis and there are a lot of valves on this chassis compared to the radios I've previously worked on.

I've only been working on the chassis a few days but progress is being made and I now feel more comfortable with it under my nose with mains applied; I'm not over confident but then I'm certainly not scared of it either. I feel like a kid learning to walk again but I'm enjoying it.

Thank you so much for your generous offer of a PY32/33 valve John I really do appreciate it and will only accept if I do establish that my valve is truly dead.

I doubt this chassis will take long to restore into working order given the excellent instructions pointing me in the right direction.

Kind regards, Col.