View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2007, 1:28 pm   #4
Tom_I
Heptode

Default Re: Selena Vega 215 - dead on FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Paul Stenning has service info for the 210/212, which also covers the 215.
I'm not sure that it does, Paul, although the general layout of the models is obviously very similar. It doesn't specifically mention the 215 anywhere on the service sheet, and that IF board in the photo is quite different from the one in the 212. Mind you, having said that, the audio amp board in my 212 is nothing like the one shown in the service sheet, so life is far from straightforward with these sets.

Also, if anyone does invest in this service sheet, be warned, before you go completely insane trying to interpret it, that the drawings showing the PCB layouts are mirror images of what you see when you look in the back of the set. They show the component layout as if viewed with x-ray specs from the solder side of the board. Very strange.

Several members of this forum have expressed enthusiasm for these Soviet multi-band sets, but I am not one of them, principally because I have two examples, and neither of them works properly. My 212 works fine on all AM bands, but like Zelandeth's, not on FM. There is something there, but it's very quiet. I've checked out a lot of things, but I think the problem is with the FM tuner module, which is the bit in the metal can to the left of the battery box. The diagram appended shows the internal layout of the set. That may also be the problem with your set, Zelandeth, but equally it may not be.

You can remove the cover from the FM module if you pull the chassis out of the wooden case, but to delve any further means removing it altogether, which means slackening the tuning drive cord and removing the pulley from the FM tuner in such a way that you can get it back together again. I did it, but didn't manage to trace the fault, gave up, put it all back together, and put the set back in the loft for another day.

So that's really no help at all, is it? Anyway, if there are any experts at fixing these sets out there, there are at least two people here who would love to hear from you.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S212.jpg
Views:	5594
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	8139