View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2018, 9:31 pm   #139
Mrgroovy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Aga Baltic AH37. Need help identifying old capacitor from 1930s radio

Update,

The speaker got a taste of my wrath (yeah, I know I shouldn't have gone back to it tonight). Anyways, it is totally ruined now, beyond any chance of ever being restored.
I figured I should at least see if I could get the field coil off the damn thing; if anything to see how it is constructed. Well, the irony of fate is quite clear in that matter. When I've finally gone to the point and broken the thing to pieces, the frame is still stuck to the three screws which still holds tight onto the field coil. They seem to be die-cast into the socket. I'm sure I can hear the screws laugh at me.

With the speaker frame warped into oblivion and practically useless I cut out the speaker cone as well and unsoldered the wires to the secondary of the OT. If anything I did a measure across the secondary and the impedance is 2.3 Ohm.

I would need to find a new speaker now. Should I go with a 4 or even an 8 ohm speaker? Lawrence suggests 3-8 Ohm. Sounds good to me if the 2.3 ohm DC resistance on the secondary doesn't change anything on that part.