Thread: Skip find Ultra
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2017, 11:09 pm   #36
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Skip find Ultra

That really looks to be in quite good order. It's hard to tell if that's rust or if the chassis has just discoloured. Nice to see the speaker looks in good order- any chance of some detailed pictures of it as mine is missing?
I see it's already had lots of work done on the frame timebase at the top in a former life. I guess it got so hot up there that the caps failed early on!!
The layout of the whole thing is pretty bizarre- you wouldn't believe that's the speaker transformer just near the line op valve! Half the sound output stage is on the IF pcb, the rest is on the line o/p board on the opposite side to the speaker & volume control. There is a mile of different bits of screened cable connecting it all together
The HT rails are pretty simple but they have used an amazing amount of wire to get it to different parts of the set! Not least, it goes via the frame scan coils!!
Because of all these quirky design aspects, I've found it very interesting to rebuild. All my sliders and most of the pots were open circuit or the legs had dropped off so I hope yours have fared better
What is the date on your smoothing cap? Mine was June '59 so would be interesting to compare.
Good luck with it and please post some more pictures soon!!
All the best
Nick