View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2017, 12:07 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: New hard drive for Pentium IV

Okay. Many thanks for the tips. Sounds like its time to ditch the old dinosaurs!
I will bite the bullet and get a new CPU, after all its been more than a decade since I bought a PC (excepting a little Asus laptop 6 years ago!)

Looking at the specs of new machines, the processor speed seems to be quoted as around 3Ghz (so not much more than the 2.8Ghz I already have) but I don't know what all this Duo core/quad core business is, presumably that means processing speed is doubled?

I also noted that some of the new PCs do not have a VGA output, which I need as I already have perfectly good VGA monitors. Do they still have PCI slots or have they also gone the way of the dodo by now?

It looks like my options are:

- Buy a new plug- in -and -go PC CPU from the local electronics barn (cheapest they have: HP (AMD) 4X2GHZ 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN10, cost: 320 Euros). I donĀ“t really want to pay for win 10 as I would downgrade to win 7!

-Buy a new or refurb from Amazon, these seem to start at about 200 euros for something with a reasonable HDD.

As always, your thoughts welcome. Mods - since this subject matter seems to have taken a turn towards the modern, feel free to split or relocate thread as appropriate!