View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2019, 3:21 pm   #18
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Fun with 6502 Assembler

OK, this is something I've found myself having to do.

Part of my code involves selecting one of four rotation angles. Now, I have four separate rotation routines; each one is going to get called multiple times. The actual angle of rotation is bit-packed in a database record, and not fun to retrieve each time the routine is called. So what I am doing is, storing the address of the desired rotation routine in a pair of successive memory locations; then using JMP (indirect) to call the pre-selected one.

That's all well and good; but I also need to know, a little later on, whether the selected rotation is "even" or "odd" in order to draw in another feature which happens to have (at least) order-2 spin symmetry (i.e. it looks the same at 180° as at 0°, and the same at 270° as at 90°).

Now, I could just store an extra byte when I do the selection. But by positioning my code with as much cunning as a fox wot used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but has since but has moved on, and is now working for the UN at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning, I have managed to arrange for the "even" rotations to begin on an even address, and the "odd" rotations to begin on an odd address. Now I need only examine the LSB of my jump vector;
Code:
.check_rotation
LDA rotv
AND #1
BNE rot_odd
.rot_even
\ instructions
\ ...
RTS
.rot_odd
\ instructions
\ ...
RTS
In BBC BASIC, you can do something like the following to insert an extra NOP if the next instruction would otherwise start on an odd byte:
Code:
]
REM .. force next instruction to start on an EVEN byte..
IF P% AND 1 [ OPT J% : NOP : ]
[ OPT J%
(I'm using J% for my assembler OPTion setting.)

I suppose I could take it right to the next level with even more careful positioning of code, such that the "odd" rotations were at addresses where the highest-order bit of the low byte was set and the "even" rotations were at addresses where this bit was clear. Then I don't even need the AND #1; since we can test bit 7 directly with the BMI or BPL instructions.

I wonder where else this same technique might have been used? There is certainly plenty of 6502 code out there that is based around jump tables, and I can think of several other situations where you might want to know which of two broad groups was selected .....