View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2019, 12:31 am   #27
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: PCB Artwork transfer

As my drawing skills are not that good for anything more complex than stick figures, I'll try to describe a friends drilling setup from many years ago.

The setup basically consisted of a camera at the top pointing down to a small wooden bed.

This bed had a hole roughly centrally located in it and the bed was also able to be pushed down a short distance (think spring loaded).

Underneath the bed was a high speed motor and pulley with a small bearing arrangement through which a pcb drill bit was inserted. A flat drive belt was attached between the motor and directly round the drill bit.

There was also a bright light under this bed, such that it shone up through the central hole, said hole was located above and in line with the drill bit.

My friend would then, using a texta or similar easily removable ink type pen, push the flat bed down over the drill bit and circle on the screen where the tip of the drill bit was.

Drilling consisted of placing the pcb on the bed, lining up pads with the circle on the screen (because of the light shining up from beneath, they were easy to locate) and pushing the bed down to drill the pcb.

He became very proficient and could drill even a fairly large pcb in a very quick time.