View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2019, 12:48 pm   #26
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: CCD camera history

The whirring noise sounds about right even though I described it as a ticking noise. Another 'something' I remember about the sensor. When it was used in its domestic role and was giving out RGB sequentially, it didn't really matter if the outputs of the three vertical strips of pixels matched precisely. But when the sensor was adapted for broadcast use it certainly did matter! In the manual for the cameras you will (should) see a menu option whereby the camera can be put into a self alignment mode and adjusts the outputs of the pixels to match one another. I'm not sure if you have to point the camera at a neutral test card of some sort but if you look at the camera output when it's performing this self alignment you can see vertical strips of pixels 'waxing and waning' into each other until they all blend into a uniform output. Quite a remarkable camera really, and from memory I think Philips/BTS took the rotating shutter principle into what I would describe as their range of true broadcast/studio cameras.

PS. These cameras were used in LWT's studio 10 which was a sort of topical production studio, not really 'high end'.