Thread: Pye 31BX1016/05
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2019, 6:35 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Pye 31BX1016/05

The latest addition to my collection is something I've been wanting to have for a while.

My Gran used to have the same model (or another Pye version of the many Philips TX variations) for use at her caravan, as it could be run of a car battery. Also Mark Pirate's resurrection of a Philips TX found in a skip was an interesting read, & shows these seem to be fairly easy to sort out https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=114865

I've on given it a basic shakedown so far but the screen is nice & sharp & the previous owner managed to save the original box & paperwork, including he handbook & bill of sale.

The only real issue I've found is a very noisy volume pot, making the sound output negligible without a lot of fiddling. Has anyone any tips on using tuner cleaner to sort this out & if it's possible without removing the case.

There are a few cosmetic issues that probably can be sorted with a stronger cleaner than the normal household polish I've given it a wipe over with, though a paint spot or 2 might be a challenge.

Also the volume knob didn't fit the pot spindle properly due to some light damage, but I've swapped it for the contrast one, & will probably need some light work to get it fit better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2072.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	178448   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2073.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	178449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2074.jpg
Views:	197