View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2019, 12:36 am   #22
PaulM
Hexode

Default Re: Quadruplex 2 inch tape

You beat me to it (and with more detail)! 'Scott Free' rings a bell with me too - some sort of current affairs show, I seem to recall. I'm sure that others will do better!

It certainly looks like Quad wear patterns to me and 2" Helical was super rare. Rank made a machine in the UK but not many were sold as Quad was so dominant and 1" was just starting to appear.

I have two German made Quad tape analysers (complete with CRT waveform monitor) which would certainly reveal what it is but the surest and quickest way is to run it (carefully) through an actual machine.

A special fluid was used in the dim dark past of Quad to 'see' the tracks for editing purposes and a modern equivalent is here: http://www.magneticdeveloper.com/product/dropper-2oz

Related to this, I have been working on and off with an ex-Marconi colleague who has come up with an idea to 'read' the FM on a videotape without physical contact. The idea works - a proof of principle test bed has been made - but it needs substantial (I mean, substantial) investment. Anybody out there with a million or two to spare to develop it? The test rig would certainly reveal the pattern. If anybody is interested, PM me and I will explain how it works.

Best regards,

Paul M