View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2018, 12:27 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Scope specification for FM use?

I'm quite a fan of Hameg scopes - they were the largest selling range of scopes across Europe including the UK in their day and were widely used by schools, colleges, universities as well as in labs and service workshops. For some years now I've had a Hameg 203-7, for which the documentation is available. They're dual trace and the bandwidth is specified as 20 MHz, but that said, it performs well beyond that range. Attached below is a trace of a 55MHz sine wave on my 203-7. Can't really ask for more than that from a 20 MHz scope.

As an added bonus they have a built-in component tester. Also, a square wave calibration facility switchable for 0.2V/Div to 2V/Div

Because they sold is such large numbers, they appear frequently on e-bay. A 203-7 would typically be £65 upwards in good cosmetic and working condition. Personally, due to their fragility and risk of damage at the hands of couriers, I'd only every buy scope on the basis of 'inspect and collect and pay cash on collection'.

There will be those who may suggest buying one of the many small digital scopes that seem to abound these days, but I think that for most of us, whose requirement for a scope is limited and occasional, a good quality analogue scope with solid track record adequately meets our needs.

I've attached a diagram which shows the front panel controls layout.

Hope that's of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 14 55 MHZ on 20MHz Hameg 203 7 scope.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	164507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hameg Scope front panel.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	164508