View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2021, 6:20 pm   #23
regenfreak
Heptode

Default Re: DIY FM tuner with 6CW4 nuvistor and ECC85

Just a quick update: I have come back to the FM valve tuner project after messing around with HF SSB receivers for a few months.

I built an oscillator test rig to test the performance and stability of the VHF valves:ECC85, 12DT8, 6BS8 and EC81 (Russian 6C11) as an oscillator. They all work fine on the test rig. The EC81/ 6C11 is an excellent UHF triode rated up to 750MHz. It gives completely flat oscillator output across the full range of frequencies when it was measured with a RF probe. Both the 6CW4 RF amp and ECC85 mixer/Rf AMP work well. In addition, the air gang tracks perfectly. However, I cannot isolate the root cause of ECC85 not oscillating well in the tuner, in spite of hours and hours of debugging. Therefore I started from a clean slate by building a minimalist 4-valve FM tuner with the line-up:

RF amp and mixer: 6N3P (USSR valve commonly used in FM and TV, the double triode has low noise and high transconductance.)

Oscillator: EC81 (6C11)

1st IF amp: 6BA6

2nd 1st amp/limiter: 6BA6

detector: ratio detector with diodes

The tuner works very well with good selectivity and sensitivity using an balanced ribbon indoor antenna. The IF transformers and ratio coils were stripped from a broken japanese FM radio. The dual air variable tuning gang were obtained from ebay. I think it was British made and was designed to track between 88MHz-100MHz. I was able to make it track perfectly from 88MHz to 108MHz after solving the compatibility mathematical conditions for the matched trimmers. Overall I am happy its performance as a mono tuner.

At the moment, I am working on my next project; a stereo tuner with the line-up:

Cascode RF AMP: EC88CC

Oscillator Ec81 (6C11)

mixer: 6CB6A

1st IF: 6BA6

2nd IF: 6BA6

1st limiter/3rd IF: 6AU6

2nd limiter: 6AU6

I will use a discriminator coil and broadband IF transformers to maximise the stereo audio fidelity. I omit AFC because it is not required in open chassis in which the temperature change is small. The 6C11 oscillator frequency is very stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-FM-1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	238243   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-FM-2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	238244   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-FM-3.jpg
Views:	149