View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2008, 8:49 pm   #12
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 401 - pointers for restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Newman View Post
I wonder if anyone can provide you with the template for cutting out the plinth and also the template for the SME?
I have found the 401 manual on-line and it gives full dimensions for the cutout - first thing will be to build something basic from MDF to support each turntable in turn while I check them out (lube etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Newman View Post
And you were given these...??
I did have to pay NZ$60 to get them freighted (55kg) from Christchurch! It kind of makes me feel better about being 'over here' after reading of all the boot sale etc finds that you Brits have every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Next you'll be telling us there are some Shure V15 cartridges too.
No carts or headshells with this lot, so I'll have questions about these I do have a Stanton 500EE I bought when I purchased a basically worn out SL1400mkII in the mid 90's, I think this will be going with at least one of them. It replaced an AT of some description which will probably go back on the Technics for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I suspect a lot of ex-broadcast turntables ended up on skips when they were replaced by newer models or CD players.
Probably depends on the model. I know the same broadcaster sold most of their Technics (SL1200, SL10 etc) TTs about 5-7 years ago seeing the DJ market just laps them up. They still run turntables in one studio (an oldies station with two SL1200's - the announcers there still like carts as well even though everything is duplicated in RCS Master Control!), have an SL1200 in production and knowing them a couple of spares. As a comparison our local community station junked a couple of SP25's about 10 years ago when they moved - replaced with a cheap Teac in production so that any records could be copied to the playout system (was PCM_Gold, now Simian).

In another thread I mentioned that most broadcasters probably have at least one 'junk' storage area that the techs know about, a graveyard for things that they just can't throw out. You've just got to get the right person at the right time in this case they were clearing out a transmitter hut where these were stored.