View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2019, 12:26 pm   #13
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: Televoice TR114T - age?

Hi Fernseh, I do wonder if sets such as the Televoice were rental sets, or at leaset buy-or-rent. Remeber the two Griffin sets ? Almost unknown manufacturer, then two identical sets turn up in the same place, one BandIII-ified the other not, makes me think they were rental sets.

A few years ago I spent quite some time going through the Brum newspaper archives - originally for Coronation/TV related stuff and similarly for the Brum TV opening, no sign of any of the smaller manufacturer's adverts. And if you were to buy something as expensive as a TV back then, would you buy Cossor/Bush/A.N.Other big name, or a Televoice-who !? which makes me wonder about them being rental sets?

I think Peter could be right and the Televoice TR114 could be '52; a lot of teenie manufactures sprang up around late 49/50, no doubt enticed by new provincial transmitters opening up, only to vanish around 1952. With sets now mass produced the little manufacturers would struggle to compete with the big players, plus the huge 1952 purchase tax rise to 66% didn't help (thats what did for Etronic).

TTFN,
Jon