Thread: Coughtrie light
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2019, 12:30 am   #2
Rhgbristol
Triode

Default Re: Coughtrie light

Coughtrie were very high quality external light fittings, certainly made from at least the 1940s right up to the present day I believe.

Their heyday was the 1950s up to the 1980s, before all the foreign made cheaper stuff came to the market.

Their range consisted of wall mounted bulkheads, corner bracket fittings, swan necks, etc.

Although somewhat utilitarian in design, they were very well made and designed to last a lifetime.
All of course in the era of tungsten filament lamps - and invariably bayonet capped holders as UK designed and made.

When I stated my electrical apprenticeship in 1983, if our company had a top spec job, even domestic it was always coughtrie fittings used. A cheap job then used Appleby external lights!

The coughtrie stuff was characterised by aluminium alloy construction, finished when new in a light grey paint or powder coat. Typically they had stainless steel screws, hard wellglass fronts, and cork gaskets.

Usually they were earthed by means of metal conduit entry or mineral insulated cable - both often used for external cabling in quality jobs.

Later fittings definitely has an earth terminal - usually a 2BA /
Later M4 tapped screw.

You will need to earth it if intending re-use. Remember that before the October 1966 14th edition IEE regulations, lighting circuits did not have to include an earth wire throughout - which may explain why your light was unearthed from the house lighting circuit. It should have been earthed though, even then. A lazy or unexperienced electrician even then me thinks......

If it were me I would earth it by means of a lug crimp around a suitable screw or bolt.

I believe the company may still make lights, but if used, tended to be relegated to the specification type jobs that could afford them. Think MOD, hospitals, and the like.

The fittings are definitely worth keeping and restoring - they will outlast you!!

It would be sacrilege to throw it away - indeed I have rescued several from my jobs over the years, for use in my own garden, (after being totally disillusioned by the modern day plastic crap that now proliferates the market) after full scale refurb such as you are contemplating.

Correct pronounciation is ‘cough tree’ !

Hope this helps.

Richard

Last edited by Rhgbristol; 17th Dec 2019 at 12:45 am.