View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2018, 1:36 am   #11
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Reservoir capacitors and ripple current.

Grand stuff gents,
talking about ringing thats what my ears are doing after being in Carlisle tonight at a Pink Floyd tribute band gig with my sis for her 60th, loud? Viscerally so!

Anyway the amp design I have roughed out will be mostly biased into ClassA with only hopefully odd excursions into class AB which as far as I understand it means the current draw is as a rule constant?
I've kind of come to a conclusion which is to use a bank of 50+50 high ripple caps to make a single 200uF reservoir which feeds two separate 5H by 100 ohm chokes and thence to a 100uF smoother followed by the output transformer CT, the following 2 stages will be simply decoupled with 50uF wire ended jobs under the hood as it were. These caps feeding low current draw stages should stay cool so I feel confident.
I suspect huge reservoir and smoothing caps nay have more of a "brag" value than any really useful contribution to overall amplifier performance. And best of all, I have plenty in the toybox so won't need to buy them off RS!
I think thats the best compromise overall. My PSU simulator doesnt seem to work out the resonant frequency of the filter so I'll need to bone up on the maths.
Thanks for the enlightenment gents.
This amp may yet fly in time for Christmas.

A.